Tuesday, November 17, 2015
What are the Biblical Qualifications to be a Pastor?
1. A Pastor Must be above reproach (Titus 1:6, 7; 1 Timothy 3:2).
2. A Pastor Must be devoted to his wife (Titus 1:6; 1 Tim 3:2; Eph. 5:22). I believe the qualification is one wife at a time otherwise; widowed pastors would be disqualified from the office.
3. A Pastor’s children must be in submission, though not perfect. (Titus 1:6; 1 Tim 3:4-5). No child is perfect, but they must show love and respect for their father.
4. A Pastor is a faithful steward (Titus 1:7). This would also include not being greedy for gain. (Titus 1:7; 1 Tim 3:3; 1 Peter 5:3).
5. A Pastor must be humble – not arrogant. (Titus 1:7)
6. A Pastor must be gentle – not quick tempered (Titus 1:7; 1 Tim 3:3).
7. A Pastor Must be hospitable (Titus 1:8; 1 Tim 3:2). A pastor’s home should be open for others to enjoy! It is a place of ministry.
8. A Pastor must be a lover of good (Titus 1:8).
9. A Pastor must be self-controlled (Titus 1;8; 1 Tim 3:2). Again this is not perfection, but there should be a balance in all areas of life: time, exercise, relationships, money, etc…
10. A Pastor must be a man of integrity (Titus 1:8). There should be a consistence to all the relationships in his life.
11. A pastor must be holy (Titus 1:8). This means a wholehearted devotion to Jesus Christ.
12. A Pastor must be able to teach (Titus 1:9; 1 Tim 3:2). This is only ability-based requirement. He must teach sound doctrine, not just be a good communicator. They must be able to defend the faith against false teaching.
13. A pastor must be spiritually mature (1 Tim 3:6). A position with authority that lacks spiritual maturity leads to the trap of pride. When pride grows, sin will multiply.
14. A pastor must be respectable (1 Tim 3:7). This does not mean that everyone must like him or even appreciate him. I don’t really like Coach Steve Spurrier, but I respect his coaching abilities.
15. A Pastor must be an example to the flock (1 Peter 5:3). This means in all areas of the church. A pastor should be someone your sons could pattern their life after and the kind of man your daughter should marry.
To pursue this call is a good call to pursue, but be warned it is a call from God. It is not for the fainthearted. You must learn to have tough skin and a tender heart. It is an amazing blessing to be a pastor!