Thursday, November 19, 2015

Amazing GriefShare Turnout for 2015!

Introduction


GriefShare seminars and support groups are led by people who understand what you are going through and want to help. You’ll gain access to valuable GriefShare resources to help you recover from your loss and look forward to rebuilding your life.

There are thousands of GriefShare recovery support groups meeting throughout the US, Canada, and in over 10 other countries.

Anyone can receive free daily email encouragement from griefshare.org.

Anyone is able to receive an encouraging email message every day for a year. These short messages will inspire you and provide practical information as you grieve the loss of your loved one.

For more information on GriefShare go to http://www.griefshare.org/.

Fall 2015

The Fall 2015 thirteen week cycle began on August 2, 2015. The group met at Sycamore Shoals on Sunday Afternoons from 2 to 4 pm in Classroom B. Here is a quick breakdown of the numbers on the group Fall 2015:

· Total Hours Spent in Group = 28 Hours

· Total Participants Visiting the Group = 14 People

· Average Group Attendance = 12 People
Snapshot of GriefShare Attendance Fall 2015

Most ministries have a diminishing return as time passes. Diminishing returns in a small group/seminar would mean as time goes on the attendance in the group would reduce. For the fall 2015 GriefShare group, the reverse from diminishing returns was found. The group attendance increased as time passed. This is excellent news, and shows the need to continue this ministry in the future. Please see the graph below, which reflects overall attendance higher at the end than at the beginning.

The second chart shows that participation from 2014 to 2015 – The numbers confirm that attendance doubled from 2014 to 2015.

Surviving the Holidays

The highest attended session on November 15nd was a self-contained session called Surviving the Holidays. For more information on this event please go to (http://www.griefshare.org/holidays). Below is a description of this session:

In past years, the Christmas holiday season may have been a time of great anticipation and excitement … but this year, the prospect of facing the holidays without your loved one may cause anxiety and dread.

You are not alone.

Here you can connect with support, encouragement, and advice to survive the holidays. This site helps you:

· Discover practical, stress-reducing ideas that will help you face the holiday season

· Find a Surviving the Holidays seminar near you

· Find out how to begin receiving daily, encouraging emails written for people who are grieving

· Discover why it’s still possible to celebrate this holiday season

· Learn more about the GriefShare program

Quotes from Participants in Fall 2015

· "This class helped by reminding me of my wedding vows. (Till death do us part)"

· "All things work for the good of those who love the Lord and are his called."

· "I enjoyed the videos and grief classes immensely. They really helped me in my grief. I hope you continue these classes. I think Preacher Tyler done a fantastic job in managing the classes. I recommend that you continue next year."

· "It helped me learn that everything is God's will and nothing I can do can change that and to accept it. But that does not make it easy by any means. It's very hard but it makes it a little bearable being in a class where other people have been through the same thing. You make new friends and share the same kind of hurt." - VM

· "GriefShare has been a wonderful and eye opening experience. I came as support for a friend but I learned so much. I am so glad that I came. It has allowed me to help others and pass on what I have learned. I would definitely recommend it to anyone."   - CT

· "GriefShare helped me by letting me know I am not alone in my grief and it is not my fault that my loved ones have passed. They passed in God's time and God's way. I must continue serving God to meet them again. Loss of mother, stepfather, grandmother, grandfather, brother, nephew, aunts, uncles, cousins and precious granddaughter."  -LL

· "I have enjoyed these sessions we have had in GriedShare. GriefShare has helped me to know that I am not alone, there are people just like me who has lost loved ones."       - MB

· "I liked the pastor leading these sessions, also the videos and Bible based study telling us of God's love. It has helped me as I heard how other people are having struggles and it is nice to know I'm not alone, and everyday gets better with God."                            - DW

· "In this time of grief/loss I have gained a lot of important facts and information. Everyone is so helpful and caring. Special thank you to Travis and Wanda."                            - GT

· "I don't know how I would have made it without GriefShare. I know God led me to this group because of the way I found it at just the time I needed it. I have made wonderful friends & Travis makes it so easy to participate and share your feelings. Being with people who really understand your feelings lightens your burden. Thank you so much and God bless you. I appreciate all the time & effort you put into this class."  -JAA

· "I AM HEALING. August 2015 I began attending a 13 week GriefShare seminar at Sycamore Shoals Hospital on Sunday from 2-4."

· The sessions are led by Grace Baptist Pastor Travis Tyler. I told Travis I couldn't attend October 18 meeting because that was my 53rd wedding anniversary. He was very understanding.

· "Friday, (Date omitted for privacy), 2015 was the 4 month anniversary of my husband, RS' death. Much to my surprise I woke up felling great, happy and BLESSED. I was dreading October 18th, the approaching date of our 53rd wedding anniversary.  Five days after the death of my husband RS, and one day after he was buried GOD blessed me with the strength to attend church. I and PRAISING the LORD I haven't missed a Sunday since he died.  I prayed for God's MERCY and STRENGTH to go to GriefShare on October 18th regardless of the circumstances. In OCTOBER,  I attended GriefShare meeting. My GriefShare FAMILY HELPED CELEBRATE MY ANNIVERSARY. I encourage anyone who is grieving to attend a GriefShare support group. GOD NEVER FAILS!!!"

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phi. 4:13

- DS, October 19, 2015


Final Thoughts

The second year of this ministry has shown double the participation, demonstrating the need for this to continue. All who attended did so because they were encouraged to by someone else. This is a ministry that I would desire to continue in partnership with the Spiritual and Pastoral Care Department of Mountain States Health Alliance.

Special thanks to Wanda Iberham, Vi Watson, Gordon and Karen Kyte, Kathy and Richard Taylor, Loretta and Wayne Peeks, and Charlene Davenport!

Recommendations for Fall 2016 Group


It is recommended that the Fall 2016 thirteen week cycle finish before mid-November. I would also recommend that there be Two Surviving the Holidays sessions offered, one before thanksgiving and one after thanksgiving & before Christmas in the Pine Room. The current time slot seems to work well, Sunday Afternoons from 2-4pm, and Classroom B was excellent in size for the group. Here is the Recommended Schedule for Fall 2016:

August 7- Living with Grief

August 14- The Journey of Grief

August 21- The Effects of Grief

August 28- When Your Spouse Dies

September 4 - No Griefshare Holiday Weekend

September 11- Your Family and Grief

September 18- Why?

September 25- The Uniqueness of Grief, Part 1

October 2 - The Uniqueness of Grief, Part 2

October 9- God’s Prescription for Grief

October 16- Stuck in Grief

October 23- Top Twenty Lessons of Grief, Part 1

October 30- No GriefShare- Grace Baptist Homecoming Celebration 75 years

November 6- Top Twenty Lessons of Grief, Part 2

November 13- Heaven

November 20- Surviving the Holidays

December 4- Surviving the Holidays

No comments:

Post a Comment