Thursday, December 28, 2017

What Resolutions Should Wise Christians Make This New Years?

The top ten resolutions are in and losing weight is number one again. It makes sense we all just ate tons of food and candy for the last month or so. We need to take the time to reflect on what we need to work on and make a plan. I have outlined seven central reflections for any follower of Christ to consider.

1.    Reflect on the state of your soul. Your soul is more important than your weight! Unlike our bodies, our souls never die. What is the condition of our soul? Am I in right standing with God? Have I accepted God’s gift of grace through faith, not trusting my own merits? Do I have a good conscience?

2.    Reflect on the use of private and public “means of grace.” A “means of grace” is anything God has given us to grow in our Christian life. Have I been reading and meditating on the Word of God, The Holy Bible? Do I have a prayer list? Am I spending time in prayer daily? How has my attendance at the stated meetings of the local church been in 2017? Have I made all efforts to gather with the saints?

3.    Reflect on stewardship. How have I been spending my time and money? Have I been a cheerful giver as God called me to be? Have I spent more of my money on entertainment or missions? Have I faithfully given to my local church? Can I improve my use of my time and money?

4.    Reflect on family relationships. Men do you love your wives as Christ loves the church? (Eph. 5:25) Wives have you loved your husbands as God called you to do? (Eph. 5:22) Children, have you honored your mother and father this past year? Parents, have you provoked your children to anger this past year? Have we been faithful to the family alter to teach our children biblical truths?

5.    Reflect on our Christian testimony and evangelism. Does all our family and friends think of us as just lovely Church going folks? Do others know that Christ means more to us than anything this world has to offer? Do we make intentional efforts to give others the gospel?

6.    Reflect on our use of Christian liberty. Are we labeling some things that may be questionable as liberty? Paul reminds us that all things are lawful, but not all things are profitable.

7.    Reflect on my love and devotion to the Lord Jesus Christ. Do we spend much time thinking about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? Do we think about who Jesus is and what He has done for us? Do we count Him as precious like the apostle Peter and the early church did?


This is a good start for making some solid New Year’s Resolutions. Take the answers to these reflections and make yourself a plan in 2018. Let’s make 2018 the year that we grow closer to Jesus Christ than ever! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment